Posted by Uncle Rico 6:25 PM ET

Detroit Lions LB Stephen Tulloch mocks Tim Tebow after sacking the Broncos QB on Sunday. (Image: AP)

AP Pro Football Writer Arnie Stapleton got it right when he wrote “Tim Tebow wasn’t on one knee in prayer this time. He was on the ground in misery.” En route to a 45-10 shellacking of the Denver Broncos the Detroit Lions sacked Tebow seven times, forced him to fumble three times (the Broncos maintained possession on two of the fumbles) and intercepted the second year quarterback once. The Lions capitalized on the two turnovers, turning each into a touchdown – a 24 yard fumble return by Cliff Avril in the 3rd quarter and a 100 yard interception return by Chris Houston in the 4th quarter.

The game highlighted the value of a top quarterback to an NFL team. Per ESPN, Matthew Stafford led the way in quarterback play in Week 8, posting a career-high Total QBR of 94.6. On the other end of the spectrum was Broncos starter Tim Tebow, who had the lowest Total QBR of the week. In fact, Tebow’s Total QBR of 3.4 on 59 action plays was the lowest by any QB with at least 50 action plays in a game since 2008.

Even the hometown newspaper seems resigned to the fact that that Josh McDaniels hand picked quarterback is not long for the NFL (unless a position change is in No. 15’s future):

Mark Kizla of The Denver Post wrote that “Tebow played as ineptly as any sorry excuse for a pro quarterback possibly could. He was laughably bad. Those five wonderful minutes against Miami now look like an aberration. Right here, right now, he is the worst quarterback in the NFL.”

Dave Krieger acknowledges that “McDaniels got the last laugh after all, leaving the Broncos with an awesomely popular quarterback who can’t throw the ball with the consistency required in the NFL.”

The Lions gameplan on defense was simple… make Tebow be a quarterback. According to Chris Houston “[the Broncos] had been giving us kind of the same routes. And you could kind of see when Tebow was going to throw to that side because he would kind of look over there and see how I was playing. The D-line knew coming into this game that if we could stop Tebow’s feet and make him be a quarterback that we got a pretty good chance of winning.”

It gets worse. An unnamed Lions defender shared this assessment of Tebow with Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports: “Can you believe 15? Come on – that’s embarrassing. I mean, it’s a joke. We knew all week that if we brought any kind of defensive pressure, he couldn’t do anything. In the second half it got boring out there. We were like, ‘Come on – that’s your quarterback? Seriously?’”

When an defense can dominate by making the opposition’s quarterback be a quarterback and then publicly mocks the quarterback’s play after the game, the writing is on the wall. Thankfully for Broncos fans, John Elway knows with little doubt that the Broncos must find a new quarterback this offseason.

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 Responses to “Lions (6-2) blast Broncos (2-5); Tebow’s 3.4 Total QBR lowest by any QB since 2008”

1. NEIL says:

CHEAP GENERIC PHARMACY : -==== Men’s Health Drugs ====-

Buy Cheap Generic Drugs Now!…

2. DrunkenBroncoholic says:

Oops I meant Stanford – Colorado game… I’ve had the Stanford – Oregon game in my head for a while now.

3. DrunkenBroncoholic says:

When I was at the Stanford – Oregon game Elway was in my voice range. I kept yelling over his way asking him why Xanders gets to impersonate a GM on the Broncos. He didn’t answer me. Then I proceeded to predict the Broncos next QB. The one that just threw a strike to his tight end in front of both of us. He then looked back and smiled. He was like a kid in the candy store with each Luck drop back. Miami HAS to win games. If they end up tied at the end of the year, and that damn freak comeback bites them in the ass it would be the final nail in the coffin hammered in by McD.

4. Lane says:

Oh man… Elway has gotta be drooling over Luck right now. Good to know he’s recruiting already. Miami needs to start winning games damnit!!

5. DrunkenBroncoholic says:

Hey all…haven’t posted here in a while…but I have been at every Stanford home game this year…Elway has been there trolling the sidelines…he was in Stanford wensday for their practice…you would think he would be showing Tebow how to throw a basic spiral after a 3.4 rating…but he isn’t. He is nowhere near Broncos practice. Why? Cause no QB on the team will be here next year regardless how they do now…Tebow is a great guy but cannot play NFL football at the QB position…I was laughed at when I said make him a fullback…Harbaugh drafted Bruce Miller, a DT, and turned him into a fullback…Genius move..by the way remember all my harping to get Harbaugh? In all fairness, Elway was begging him but Harbaugh was smart enough to say no..what it all comes down to is a cheap owner and pathetic GM…Forbes just came out with a list of the worst owners (financial and performance) in NFL… Bowlen is right up on that list…20 something million UNDER the cap? He doesnt want to win he just wants to make money…Tebow draws in money, for now…this team has made zero improvement since McDummy left…the only slim positive thing I see is Elway being a constant in Stanford right now…Miami cannot get the first pick…if Rams or Colts get it I believe either would trade out, Rams more than Colts…Luck is better than 3/4 of starting QBs in the league right now…he doesn’t need to sit and learn. He played under an NFL type coach and is playing in an NFL offense…calling his own plays…he is the answer and Elway knows it.

6. Lane says:

3.4? Did I read that correctly?? Hmm… That’s 3.3 more than I would have guessed.